At Uncanny Owl, our team works hard to understand what people are doing with Automator…
Uncanny Automator 2.6 is now out! As usual, this free release adds lots of new triggers and actions to automate even more of your plugin and site integrations.
Our team at Uncanny Owl still operates primarily in the WordPress elearning space, and over the last few months we’ve seen a lot of growth and fantastic feedback for the Upsell Plugin. It’s an ecommerce plugin that makes it easy to create sales funnels and ecommerce solutions without the complexity that you would normally associate with WooCommerce and Easy Digital Downloads. For us, building the integration with Upsell was a great opportunity to finally try the product out for ourselves.
Where the Upsell Plugin can’t quite compete with the big players is with the number of available integrations. It supports a handful of direct integrations with elearning and membership plugins, but for power users it might not be enough.
That’s where our new (free!) Uncanny Automator integration comes in. With it, sales made with the Upsell Plugin can trigger activity in dozens of other WordPress plugins and even other WordPress sites. Sell access to events, LearnDash and BuddyPress groups, add and remove user tags in your favourite CRM, award badges and points, etc.
Please note that for this free release you must have purchases associated with user accounts. Make sure that Enable Account Creation is checked in your product settings under Checkout Settings so that if a user purchases anonymously an account is still created.
Groundhogg tag support
In our last post we hinted that great things were coming to our Groundhogg integration, and now they’re here! The free version of Uncanny Automator adds these new actions:
- Add a tag to the user
- Remove a tag from the user
Between the new actions and the existing triggers in Automator Pro, here are some of the interesting things you can do:
- When a student completes a series of courses with quiz scores over 80%, add an “Honor Roll” tag and send them a congratulatory email.
- When a user is added to an HR system and passes data in an incoming webhook, tag that user based on their job functions and department.
- When a user makes a purchase on one WordPress site, create the user and tag them based on their purchases on another WordPress site.
- When a user’s subscription fails, remove associated tags and send the user an SMS message confirming the removal.
It’s pretty powerful, including for free users now that adding and removing tags are available.
If you’re a Groundhogg user, don’t forget to tell us what other triggers and actions you might like to see included.
Important plugin changes
There are 2 other really notable actions included in the Automator 2.6 release: Create a post is now an available action for the free plugin, and the Send data to a webhook action adds header support. Both are extremely powerful upgrades, especially for developers, and the post creation action supports custom post types as well. Where it gets interesting is that you can create the posts with any postmeta you want. We know the benefits aren’t necessarily obvious, but here are some examples of what this means:
- When a user submits a form, use the values in the form to create a new blog post. Now you’ve got a nice front end blog posting tool.
- When a user posts content on another platform, pass the data via incoming webhook and turn it into a LearnDash lesson.
There are a few other changes behind the scenes too. The Send data to a webhook action has been moved to the Uncanny Automator integration and performance has improved for the BuddyPress, GamiPress, MyCred and BadgeOS integrations.